A survey of 1000 South Africans who participate in the gig economy has revealed that they could not put food on the table without a side hustle.
The gig economy has become the crucial connection between the informal and formal economies. Where organisations like corporates require certain tasks to be completed but no budgets for taking on full-time employees, those with the skills and time to do the work can be contracted in a win-win scenario.
- 96% of respondents believe that gig work has helped them financially
- 98% of respondents believe that gig work will help unemployment in SA
- 67% of respondents said that gig work was their main income
- 89% of respondents said that they would not have any income without gig work
- 72% of respondents said that since the pandemic gig work has increased
Download the full Survey HERE